Saturday, February 12, 2011

Remington Under Fire


I just got through watching a rebroadcast of a [CNBC] special report on some [Remington’s Model 700] bolt-action rifles being able to fire without pulling the trigger, which came as a great shock to me.  For I have owned two Model 700’s (a [.30-06] and a [.308]), and I never had any problems with either one.

Now, for me to even consider owning a Remington of any kind is really saying something.  For I have a very strong tendency towards devout brand loyalty, and [Winchester] was my first love.
Yeah, what I am trying to say here is that the Remington Model 700 really is that good.  Of course, I found out that their [Model 870] and [Model 1100] shotguns were equally great, but that is a story for another time.




If you don’t have the time to watch the entire show, it reports that around 1% of the Model 700’s can fire by just clicking the safety off or touching the bolt—even while the safety is still on!  Considering the fact that over five million have been sold so far, that means that over 50,000 are way too dangerous to have around anywhere.  That is, unless you never have any desire to load it, of course.

The show also covers that Remington has known about the problem since before they started marketing it, and to fix the problem would have only cost 5.5 cents per rifle back then.  Of course, Remington is denying everything, which is made quite clear in the following video.



Okay, maybe I am trying to over-Spiritualize it, but can you come up with a better explanation for why Remington would not have wanted to nip this problem in the bud before it had an opportunity to bloom into a very poisonous plant than their executives not being in their right-minds?  After all, is the added manufacturing cost of 5.5 cents per rifle really going to make that much of a difference to their bottom-line—even back in the 1940’s?

Yes, it may very well be that I have been deceived, but after seeing the documented footage of several accidental discharges while in the hands of expert marksmen, I find the evidence presented very hard to ignore.  So, what do you think (or know)?

Please Also Visit:
and

0 comments: