Friday, February 8, 2013

Editing Edifications


Believe or not, I am something of a perfectionist.  Now, I am not plumb insane about it, but I really do want to do things as well as I possibly can.

Hence, the reason why I hate it when I write something wrong(ly), and what has been really driving me nuts lately is an apparent inability to properly proofread something before it gets actually published.  For I can live with making initial mistakes, but failing to see where I have either left out a word that should have been included or added a word that should not have been (not to mention spelling errors) is inexcusable—especially after reading what I have wrote several times!

I now know what the problem is, but I don’t know what can be done about it.  For it has to do with me not actually reading what I have written when I go to proofread it.

I don’t know if it is basically the same for most, but the way it is for me is that what I write is like taking dictation.  For it is as if I am hearing the content in my mind as I tap away on the keyboard.

Well, the process actually starts before I sit down at the computer, and this is where things have been going wrong.  For there are often several different ways of saying the same thing in my mind, and they sometimes get mixed together, which does not work so well.  Such as, putting I cannot come up with an example of what I am trying to convey and I cannot come up with an example of what I am talking about, which ends up as I cannot come up with an example of what I am trying to convey about.

Yeah, one would think that a garbled mess like that would be easy to spot during a proofread of the text, but what often happens is that I wind up paying more attention to the right (or at least more correct) way of conveying the message in my head than what actually made it into print.  This often results in me being able to proofread something several times without catching that I left out it at the end of For it has to do with me not actually reading what I have written when I go to proofread it.

So?  Well, is this not another clear indication that there is more going on in our heads than what we have been lead to believe about thinking?

Yeah, it may very well that I am simply losing my mind, but who amongst us can really afford to be so arrogant as to accept that we are as much on our own in this world as we have been so strongly encouraged to believe on both sides of stained-glass windows?  It is something to think about—is it not?

Please Also Visit:
and

0 comments: