Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Circling The Proverbial Drain




The clip above was taken from “Rocks and Shoals,” which is the second episode of the sixth season of the [Star Trek Deep Space Nine] series.  To give you a little context, if you are not already familiar with the episode, the Star Fleet contingent have crash-landed on an unchartered planet, and they soon discover that they are not alone.  For a Jem’Hadar ship, who are the monstrous-looking non-Star Fleet warriors, had also crash-landed there several weeks before, and their Vorta, who is of another species, had made a deal with Captain Sisko to get rid of them out of fear of them killing him after the drug that is used to control them runs out.

On the other hand, I suppose none of that really matters.  For what I would like for you to focus upon is what the Jem’Hadar leader told Captain Sisko at around the 2:57 mark.

Alas, if only I could be so simple-minded, which is not at all insulting in this case.  For there that Jem’Hadar was with an option to save his life, and the life of his men (so to speak), but he was locked onto what he considered to be the simple truth to their existence, which is that it was not their lives to give, and it never was.

You see, the Jem’Hadar had been created by the Founders, who are another species, to serve as both their protectors and shock troops in their quest to rule over as much of the galaxy as possible.  Are we any different?  That is, at least in regards to being created beings, and subject to the will of our Creator?

No, that is not something that far too many (both inside and outside of the Christian community) want to focus upon.  Count me as being one of them far too often.  For I want things to go my way at times, and I do not believe that anyone has ever had a thing on me when it comes to throwing genuine hissy-fits.

Yes, I am quite sure that my life would be much better if I could just resist having expectations.  For when they are not met, I usually dive to the bottom of deep, dark depression.

No, this is not to say that we should not want more of what our Heavenly Father wants us to have—especially in regards to experiencing more and more of a very close and personal relationship with Him, but even that can be taken too far.  For He is not one to cheat anyone out of anything, and bitter complaints will not force His hand.

Of course, the pain from my physical ailments would remain.  On the other hand, what if they are really just a result of my belligerence, and if I would just try harder to be a better son, maybe I won't have to hurt so badly?

Yeah, here I go, circling the proverbial drain again.  Woe is me.

Please Also Visit:
and

4 comments:

Rational νεόφυτος said...

Think you might be reading a little too deep into this one. When the Jen-hadar guy started talking about things being arranged "since his birth", I was reading more of a parallel of a cultural/strict family heritage binding his soul - nothing further than that. It's like a strict family heritage/legacy and upbringing to which he's a slave - that sort of thing. At least that was my reading from this clip... I honest have never seen this, as I never got much out of DS9.

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by again, my dear RN!!! Yes, strict adherence to the wrong traditions is something to be delivered from.

Gail said...

Yet, who is to say, which is the truth? Very thought provoking example. Each, strong in their own beliefs, fight for the right to believe it...I could argue on either side but will say no more other than thank you for a wonderful piece.

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by, my dear Gail!!! Well, I have become convinced that our Heavenly Father still seeks to communicate with us directly, but most are of the opinion that this is nothing more than merely wishful thinking on my part.